View Poll Results: What is best for new player to raid for resources?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raid unoccupied oases

26 39.39%
  • Attack independent Natar villages

40 60.61%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion poll: Oases vs Natars

Community Manager Templar Knight's Avatar

Default Discussion poll: Oases vs Natars

To Travian Warriors Everywhere

We invite you to take part in this small poll about the game.

Question: What is better option for the player on early stages of the game if he needs some extra resources?

Raid unoccupied oases
    Attack independent Natar villages

Please, leave your comments in the thread. What would be your choice? Maybe itís worth doing something completely different?
    If you need a little help with game play Legend Answers

If you are nervous about your post Forum Rules

Keep the MH's at bay by knowing the Game Rules

Natar with high loot obviously

Com5- Bandidas Com8- Rajinikanth Com5- Cursed Pirate

Natarian Knight

Neither.
    The only time you go for oases resources is before beginners protection ends, natars don't exist at that time yet but as soon as they appear they become over-raided and give you nothing really.
    Even under beginners protection you need strong hero, small number of weak animals (i.e. iron/clay preferably doubled with crop), cages to really gain more than you lose. Or team effort.
    There were times when re-spawning rate at oases was reasonable and we had oases farming lists. Those times are missed.
    Natars raiding is barely profitable given causalities rate.

Players who is looking for real gain should fight other players

Thorned Warrior

I agree with Ele. There are very few Natars when you get out of beginner protection and most people aren't willing to sacrifice the handful (or less) troops they have on any oasis with small critters that seem to be able to inflict supernatural levels of human carnage. You can occasionally clear a clay or iron oasis with your hero, but since you can't bid in auctions until you have had 10 adventures, you don't get enough ointment to keep using your hero. Granted, it's hard to swing an axe at killer spiders, but most people can't manage major plunder in the first week or so of a server

travian_spiders.jpg
    Last edited by Mervangi; 24.04.2017 at 17:30.

Pikeman

You go backwards on oases unless the hero clears one by one, because the animals spawn too fast.
    You go backwards on Natar villages unless you send quite a few troops which mostly come back with very little resources.

Neither one is useful anymore since the changes done to make the animals and troops spawn faster.

This forces us to raid new players who don't know how to defend themselves.

The end result is that new players quit the game.

Raiding is having a very negative effect on your new player retention and until you remove farm lists or make farming 100x times more difficult your player numbers will continue to dwindle. You also really should make it far, far easier for players to form or join an alliance, with a simple ally chat IN the game to remove some of the reliance on Skype. And make it much, much clearer to new players that they need collaboration with other players to protect themselves. Revamp the tutorial for goodness' sake.

But many people have been saying it for a long time and so far HQ don't seem to be doing much about it. I hope they're actually listening now.

Neither
    Raiding oasis will lose u more troops than u gain res.
    Natars r over raided.
    Best option is to raid inactives and my request is to increase the time before which an inactive player gets deleted.
    In the current scenario best is to sim ratherthan losing troops raiding oasis or lose time raiding natars which is futile.

Raiding oases is clearly better. There are more of them, there are often several close to one's village, and one can see how many of what kind of defenders are in the oasis, without having to send scouts. This allows us to make an educated decision on whether and when to conduct a raid for maximum benefit.

Also, there are hero items such as cages and ointments which help make raiding oases easier. There is no equivalent for raiding Natarans, except the horn.

Contrary to what Elisa says, it is totally still possible to turn a profit raiding oases, but one must pay attention, think, use the battle simulator, and make good decisions. This is a game which rewards planning ahead, good math skills, and naked aggression. I would hate to see that change.

Please do not make raiding players early in the game even harder. The Teuton race has been hobbled severely enough. It's already the least favorite pick on every server. If newbie quitting is a "problem", then perhaps have all of a player's villages turn into Nataran villages when they quit. But please do not pander to the sloth of simmers by making it easier to sim. This is a war game, where all who participate are predator and prey. There are plenty of other games out there where players don't fight and can't lose anything, like factoryidle.com or 2048. Let them play those, and let Travian remain Travian.

I will agree with one of Elisa's sentiments: The tutorial needs an update. Also, perhaps if attacks were somehow made more enticing (not in terms of benefit, just pure cosmetics and/or tutelage) it would help newbies get into the spirit of the game. Perhaps missives from their "general" who points out opportunities and benefits of building troops or launching attacks? Repurposing the existing Taskmaster code shouldn't be that hard.

Anyway, thanks for this awesome game, and thanks for reading.

Natarian Knight

New players quitting is not a problem Many alliances recruiting everyone with pulse nowadays. New players not coming is, IMHO. When was last time you saw 13-year old in a chat? I don't remember. It does not matter, IMHO again, how much TG improve life support system the game is currently on, it will die sooner rather than later. Teenagers are obviously by far the largest market and many of them don't even understand the concept of browser game. TG missed the app train, there is still potential and it is possible to recover if they release decent mobile app. The game needs defibrillator, not life support improvement.

TG is trying to punish raiders more and more and I really don't understand why. Oases farming is gone, natars farming is barely profitable, inactive players deleted almost immediately etc. Raiders are most dedicated players usually, it takes time and effort to create and maintain good farm list, it's not free income. Gold club is not that expansive, every player should have it, either buying gold or via auction, and learning basic is not rocket science. Just time and effort Many people don't raid even if they know how because at small scale it does not pay off for the effort. And that, btw, results in multi-accounting and "tech" accounts. People use to have certain income from fair and square raiding and it's not possible on regular server now. Boosted start was awesome in that regard - a lot was possible with raiding income.

Pikeman

Very early game, raiding oases is profitable for a teuton, possible for a roman too, with lots of gold for cages, oinments.
    As Ele said before, after natars villas spawn everyone starts farming them, and beside that, natars will build troops, walls/residence and that will cost you. I can't remember how many times I was sending catas/rams to clear a natar wall, 2 days later they build them up again.
    I remember when TG changed spawning rate of the animals in oases, I was farming hundreeds of them with great profit.
    Perhaps you are taking in consideration to decrease spawning rate again. Do something to prevent losing more players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ele View Post
    New players quitting is not a problem Many alliances recruiting everyone with pulse nowadays. New players not coming is, IMHO. When was last time you saw 13-year old in a chat? I don't remember. It does not matter, IMHO again, how much TG improve life support system the game is currently on, it will die sooner rather than later. Teenagers are obviously by far the largest market and many of them don't even understand the concept of browser game. TG missed the app train, there is still potential and it is possible to recover if they release decent mobile app. The game needs defibrillator, not life support improvement.

TG is trying to punish raiders more and more and I really don't understand why. Oases farming is gone, natars farming is barely profitable, inactive players deleted almost immediately etc. Raiders are most dedicated players usually, it takes time and effort to create and maintain good farm list, it's not free income. Gold club is not that expansive, every player should have it, either buying gold or via auction, and learning basic is not rocket science. Just time and effort Many people don't raid even if they know how because at small scale it does not pay off for the effort. And that, btw, results in multi-accounting and "tech" accounts. People use to have certain income from fair and square raiding and it's not possible on regular server now. Boosted start was awesome in that regard - a lot was possible with raiding income.
    I absolutely agree. Raiders who are the most dedicated players have been punished what with immediate deletion of inactives, long beginners protection time and no option to break the BP prematurely.
    I remember T3.6 where I used to be teuton and start raiding from day 4. Many inactive farms which lasted longer, no mater if they were only less than 10 pop.
    Now when I joined T4 as a teuton, I quit within 7 days. Hardly any farms to raid. It was clear that early raiding had lost its charm. So I began again as a roman and preferred just to sim for the first month.
    All this is needed to be put right to bring back the charm of T3.6
    Last edited by EXIMUS; 25.04.2017 at 05:52.