View Poll Results: What is best for new player to raid for resources?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raid unoccupied oases

26 39.39%
  • Attack independent Natar villages

40 60.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion poll: Oases vs Natars

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Neither one is useful anymore since the changes done to make the animals and troops spawn faster.

This forces us to raid new players who don't know how to defend themselves.

The end result is that new players quit the game.

Raiding is having a very negative effect on your new player retention and until you remove farm lists or make farming 100x times more difficult your player numbers will continue to dwindle. You also really should make it far, far easier for players to form or join an alliance, with a simple ally chat IN the game to remove some of the reliance on Skype. And make it much, much clearer to new players that they need collaboration with other players to protect themselves. Revamp the tutorial for goodness' sake.
    This. I completely agree,

new players are generally completely lost, only the most interested and motivated new players get through this. It almost seems as if it is to sort out those who dont have the stamina to get raided and beaten over and over before they learn, and get rid of them.

There needs to be a limit as to how many raids can be sent against smaller players. When you are getting raided 500 or 1000 times per day, it is virtually impossible to build troop numbers or villages, unless you spend lots of resources and time to build crannies. Even this does not help, because some players will send catapults as soon as they lose a single trooper, and will destroy Residence and other assets.

This game has become tedious, because smaller players get sick of this behaviour, and quit, so the numbers of active players drops off.

Attack independent Natar villages

"New players quitting is not a problem Many alliances recruiting everyone with pulse nowadays. New players not coming is, IMHO. When was last time you saw 13-year old in a chat? I don't remember. It does not matter, IMHO again, how much TG improve life support system the game is currently on, it will die sooner rather than later. Teenagers are obviously by far the largest market and many of them don't even understand the concept of browser game. TG missed the app train, there is still potential and it is possible to recover if they release decent mobile app. The game needs defibrillator, not life support improvement.

TG is trying to punish raiders more and more and I really don't understand why. Oases farming is gone, natars farming is barely profitable, inactive players deleted almost immediately etc. Raiders are most dedicated players usually, it takes time and effort to create and maintain good farm list, it's not free income. Gold club is not that expansive, every player should have it, either buying gold or via auction, and learning basic is not rocket science. Just time and effort Many people don't raid even if they know how because at small scale it does not pay off for the effort. And that, btw, results in multi-accounting and "tech" accounts. People use to have certain income from fair and square raiding and it's not possible on regular server now. Boosted start was awesome in that regard - a lot was possible with raiding income."

Still doesn't answer the original Poll question. There are other forum posts for this. IMHO. lol
    Last edited by Str33tKaos; 26.04.2017 at 08:07.

COM Server 1 '09 ~ amigood
    COM Server 1 '12 ~ Chaos
    US Server tx3 '14 ~ Str33tKa0s
    UK Server tx3 '16 ~ Str33tKa0s

Natarian Knight

I answered the question in my first post in this thread.

Until you are officially introduced as new forum admin I will continue as I find suitable. I hope you don't mind, thank you.

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Chicken View Post
    There needs to be a limit as to how many raids can be sent against smaller players. When you are getting raided 500 or 1000 times per day, it is virtually impossible to build troop numbers or villages, unless you spend lots of resources and time to build crannies. Even this does not help, because some players will send catapults as soon as they lose a single trooper, and will destroy Residence and other assets.

This game has become tedious, because smaller players get sick of this behaviour, and quit, so the numbers of active players drops off.
    Hundreds of raids will come to you village only if you become inactive for 3 or more days. Vast majority of the raiders only farm inactive players. It's advisable to build something (with population) every day even if you are saving for settlers, for example. If 3 days inactivity happened the best way is to message raiders telling them that the account is active again, I guarantee you most will stop.

The only exception is if you are in someone's immediate neighborhood, but it is not about raiding. I may not raid at all, but I would put my best effort into eliminating unknown player near me. The only way to get out of this situation is to convince the attacker that cooperation will be fruitful and preferably do so before catas start rolling.

Axerider

I feel that Natars are probably best but only if you are active and keep the respawning critters down. I've never done the math but feel it is more profitable than oasis raiding in the long run.

raiding on the ROA server with boosted start was super profitable and I think helped a lot of players stay on the new version and get beyond the easily killed zone.

BUT how to keep new players is probably the thorny question to answer for the Travian team.

Wait... it's profitable to raid from Oases and Natars?

As others have been saying, both really aren't that profitable at all. In fact, I'm relatively certain players lose more in troops than what they gain when hitting oases to level their hero in the early-game. Even after clearing an oasis, it only takes a handful of raids before there's a bunch of critters and your forces get destroyed. I've had many times where I've sent a raid to an empty oasis, only to have critters spawn while my troops are marching. The result, lots of lost troops, almost nothing gained. Happens all the time.

As for Natars... Natar villages, generally, produce more resources than unoccupied oases. They're basically the same with troop spawning, only they also throw up walls. So although you can theoretically take more from Natars, you're going to lose more too. Even if you knock down a wall with rams, it's usually back up in less than a day.

Raiding new and weaker players is the only real option. You just have to hope that the inactive check system doesn't delete their account (or turn them into Natars) within a couple of days.

Pikeman

Natar is better option

Well to start with the first week of any server, its impossible for a simmer to settle v2 the fastest because that's just mathematically impossible, when compared to a dedicated first week raider.
    Be it he's suiciding the hero every now and then, or using oint and cages, 99% of the time the raiders will just be faster, as mentioned by someone above, looting clay and iron oasis with or without crops, without real casualties, is just too profitable for the early game thus giving a huge lead for the raiders. Week 2 of the server, its still a bit profitable to raid oasis if the newly settled capital is far from the crowded area of the map or because of extended beginner's protection from some players.
    One exception to raiding oasis in the later stages of the game are the players that settle their stronghold in the sticks ( far away from the center ), they can use the oases to level up their heroes and pick up a nice 4000 or 8000 bounty from time to time.

When raiding natars there are 2 things to consider.
    1) It's really stupid to raid natars from an OP or WW hammer, because the last thing you need is having 1 club or imp or whatever die every now and then because of a couple of newly spawned spearmen in a natarian village. When reaching mid game of the server, resources is barely a problem for real raiders, and their only focus should be to not lose troops because of raids. It may sound that 1 club dying isnt a problem, but when you're raiding 100 natarian villages it will soon escalate to denying half of your daily production.
    2) There are 2 kinds of natars, the low pop small players one, and the newly transformed capitals of large inactive players. These ones i personally advise raiding at least once, because they are usually packed with resources and huge capacities, so clearing them with low or no casualties and then farming them would be really profitable.