Thread: What happened?

Default What happened?

Hello everyone,

I used to play from 2008-2011, I just remember how huge this game used to be, how interesting that a simple idea can garner such attention and strategy. I don't know what happened with life that made me stop playing and forget about it for a while, but I decided to come back, and wow. Servers went down from 30k members to 3k, there's nothing really interesting going on, and even the forum which was such a lively place is dead.

My thoughts:
    The game started to go down when they made the hero so important, and with the release of artefacts, it was much more enjoyable before. The animation is much more cartoony, even the medals which were so simple and cool now look like cheap renderings. I was reading another post with a user voicing his complaints, and the mod's response was laughable. He did not want to acknowledge the problems. Obviously when you go down from 30k players per new server to 3k there is a huge problem, and perhaps the way you steered this game was not the best. It seems only the Arab servers are as active as old times, so how do we fix this? I am sad because I might have missed the days when this game could still be exciting, so is there any way of going back?

I know most players may have lost interest but why was there no way to attract new ones?

Pikeman

Todayīs other games are much more enjoyable because of better graphics, animation etc.. Introducing hero items was necessary because the HERO is probably the most important part of a game to attract players. Nearly all, if not all, games nowadays have a hero.

Travian is also a very tough game to be competitive if you are not active and have duals. Few players like to log in twice a day just to seem the incomings etc..

Then they rather play games where activity is not so required.

I guess its just how the whole game world developed. Itīs like watching the new cinema film on a VHS when you can get super HD.

The game is essentially dead and all these meta players that would get destroyed few years back make this game even less fun.

Guardsman

Default Hero ??

So what you are saying is that the "Hero" is so necessary to attract players to the game....then why since the " Hero" was added has the game lost 90% of their players???

Before "Hero" ---- 30,000 average players on each server

After "Hero" --------3,000 average players on each server

Hmmmm? Where did the 27,000 players go? The "Hero" is here. Again, simple math, 90% player loss on every server.

Numbers don't lie. That is an absolute failure. To say otherwise is the inability to understand the simple facts. 90% loss of your customer base is death to any business. Especially considering that at just over half way through a current server, there are only about 800 players left, of which some are inactive. That's astounding!!! That brings the player loss with the "Hero" is approximately 95%.

Bottom line is the "Hero" is so important....30,000 players down to 800 players and falling daily. Whoever wins that server, would have a "Victory " playing a game with 90% fewer opponents. Hardly an achievement in anyone's book.

The "Hero" should be renamed ummm....the "Almost Zero " ..... best of luck...it's just simple math.

Pikeman

1. They just wanted more cash so they implemented this new version with auctions, the richest you are (or I can say the more you can affort to spend on this game), the better development of your account. They got more cash but their players left.
    2. They changed the spawn rate of the animals on oasis, people were farming a lot on oasis, development of an account was faster.
    3. They changed how the refferal link was used . People were making lots of accounts on 3x server, settling fast and getting 50 gold before their accounts were banned. You know, some people are having fun without investing too much in this game, like I do. People went nuts on travian, they spend more and more.
    First Gladiator helmets on com4 costed more than 100k silver each (500 gold , 20 euros for a damn helmet) .
    And there are more stupid items w

Honestly, people went nuts on those actions, I miss the old fashion servers.
    The staff is not even thinking of starting a classic server, they don't think how to bring their players back, they just find a way to get more money from us. Simple as that.
    This post may get deleted if it offends them, because it's the saying the truth.

Pikeman

Quote Originally Posted by J Browning View Post
    So what you are saying is that the "Hero" is so necessary to attract players to the game....then why since the " Hero" was added has the game lost 90% of their players???

Before "Hero" ---- 30,000 average players on each server

After "Hero" --------3,000 average players on each server

Hmmmm? Where did the 27,000 players go? The "Hero" is here. Again, simple math, 90% player loss on every server.
    Players left for other reasons that I mentioned above. 90% did not leave because of the hero change. And removing the hero will not bring the 90% ack, even if the TG employees knock on every door.

They left cause other games are more fun with less time investment. Most games today can be played on the phone. Travian cannot be played on the phone with this kind of experience. Games are just different today. 50 years ago, people played board games. Then came consoles, then PCs etc..Which 20yo plays board games today more than PC, playstation etc..?

Itīs the overall development.

Quote Originally Posted by J Browning View Post
    S
    Bottom line is the "Hero" is so important....30,000 players down to 800 players and falling daily. Whoever wins that server, would have a "Victory " playing a game with 90% fewer opponents. Hardly an achievement in anyone's book.
    A victory is still a victory. Of the huge servers few years back, you also only had like 5% solid players. The rest was just cannonfodder. The only difference today is that all the Wing and Meta alliances win because they outmass the opponent, not by skill but by recruiting even the worst players.

We still won few servers over these. I still consider this an achievement.
    Last edited by Kauto Star; 05.04.2017 at 11:53.

Pikeman

Quote Originally Posted by Raelag View Post
    1. They just wanted more cash so they implemented this new version with auctions, the richest you are (or I can say the more you can affort to spend on this game), the better development of your account. They got more cash but their players left.
    2. They changed the spawn rate of the animals on oasis, people were farming a lot on oasis, development of an account was faster.
    3. They changed how the refferal link was used . People were making lots of accounts on 3x server, settling fast and getting 50 gold before their accounts were banned. You know, some people are having fun without investing too much in this game, like I do. People went nuts on travian, they spend more and more.
    First Gladiator helmets on com4 costed more than 100k silver each (500 gold , 20 euros for a damn helmet) .
    And there are more stupid items w

Honestly, people went nuts on those actions, I miss the old fashion servers.
    The staff is not even thinking of starting a classic server, they don't think how to bring their players back, they just find a way to get more money from us. Simple as that.
    This post may get deleted if it offends them, because it's the saying the truth.
    TG is still a company. Nothing bad about implementing things that generate money. Thatīs how it works. Nobody is forced to play this game and no single player, no matter how long he had played Travian, has any right to question the decisions.

If you donīt like it, leave. If not, play and deal with it.

TG is not the only one. Just search similar browsergames and you will find similar developments.

Itīs just the game itself. They would probably have to make a whole new game out of it, sth like WoW or so to attract more players.

But the way this game is set up, itīs simply outdated. It was great in 2006, but today, the 3D world is more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by J Browning
    Co-occurrence does not mean causation. Just because it coincided that the a large mass of players left when the hero feature arrived doesn't mean that it was caused by the hero feature.

There has been plenty of discussion about the slowly decreasing number of active players on Travian and I agree with what was said above:

Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Star
    They left cause other games are more fun with less time investment. Most games today can be played on the phone. Travian cannot be played on the phone with this kind of experience. Games are just different today. 50 years ago, people played board games. Then came consoles, then PCs etc..Which 20yo plays board games today more than PC, playstation etc..?

Games today have grown to be more and more low-commitment high-entertainment.

--

When I say low-commitment, I mean that people who play games now commit less time for more jam-packed levels of excitement and fun. That is my personal opinion based on my experience. I've seen many of my gamer friends flocked from games like DotA 2 (which requires you to commit an hour per game) switch off into CS:GO or Overwatch (which requires you to commit 10 minutes per game).

I don't see Travian taking that path of shortening their game time. Frankly, shortening it makes it a disincentive for gold-users. That would mean that their gold that they purchased to boost their game... expires earlier.

How could Travian adapt to the new landscape of gaming?

I honestly believe that Travian is fun. From a user/player's point of view, there are a few things that I think the game/company should focus on:

1. Take care of your community.

The highest value that I see in Travian is their community. The people you meet online whom you work with and coordinate with. The challenge of working together to build and do amazing things. It may be working with your sitter or your dual, or with your alliance. This is the biggest value that I see because the social and collaborative aspect of Travian warfare is what other games lack.

2. The social aspect of warfare.

Other games focus on high quality renders, and complex 3D models, how this dragon should look like or the newest and latest cosmetics for this hero or champion...

Travian is in a strategic position to provide a simple-to-moderately complex gameplay and can instead focus on its social aspect of warfare. We all know how spies often invade an alliance, steal information, and sabotage the alliance from the inside. However when one spy is caught, of course the alliance would burn its villages to the dust.

Why not design around that? Incorporate spies in game (i.e. could possibly build many villages, but are small... Which means they can easily rebuild away when they get caught. Incorporate a way for them to be disguised.), beta-test this with active players on a speed server maybe, and allow the players to give feedback on it.

Travian allows us to side-step all the head ache that all other Triple A games focuses on: graphics, expensive high-end computers/consoles. Instead, we can focus on the most exciting part of game which is the human element.

Lies, deception, collaboration, trust. Warfare indeed.

3. Break down communication barriers with your players.

Focus on breaking down communication barriers with your users/players. Stay as close to them as possible, as doing so is like listening to the heartbeat of active users (and paying users). Design the community such that communicating with the game/company is easy, transparent, and integrated.

Easy - Can the users/players easily reach a moderator, MH, or whoever is the right person that they need to talk to? How many clicks / how long in seconds does it take for a user to report something from the game? How many players actually are educated or onboard-ed (guided) with how to reach the authorities when needed?

Transparent - Can the users/players see the progress/escalation of their report or issue?

Integrated - My game account is different from my forum account. Design the integrations in-game to reference players to forum users.

So many have cried out about cheating and pleas against punishments that are delayed and take too long for replies (as discussed in other threads). By making it easy to report and transparent, it builds confidence and trust in the authorities that the law/rules enforcement is reliable. Them crying out means they've lost trust that the right people go to jail, and that's how politicians lose popularity, and their government positions.

Them crying out means they want to trust you, but find themselves helpless and hopeless.

4. Engage your users.

Your users want to speak with you. They have much insight about things they have learned with TG across the years. They are clear and valuable data that the game/company can learn from. Provide an avenue for data collection (user feedback) and structure this data. And be transparent with this structure.

There is always a call for transparency because trust needs to be rebuilt with the users that left because of unresolved issues / poor customer service and support.

It's free feedback. They love the game and they want to contribute. Yes, some of them sound like whining kids, but there is value to some of the things being said. There will always be a signal-to-noise ratio, but the signal is valid.

4. Take care of the cheaters. By that I mean root them out.

Yes, as a player/user I have no idea or experience on how cheaters are detected from the server-side. I can only make hypotheses on how these are done.

I'm not going to point it out to the devs/hunters how to do their job, but there have been dedicated 5-10+ years players who have lost faith in the law enforcement of the game. Again, there is a need for transparency and a rebuilding of trust.

Hopefully the community managers here in the forum are closely tied with the design, development, and executive team of TG.

Just a few thoughts from a human-centered experience designer.