Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The ROMAN Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by zoltar View Post
    Well, the initial question was about romans being able to be on top, that includes off, pop and raider. Pop and off are also supported by income from raiding, hence the raiding debate...

A roman defender will NEVER be able to be a top raider, so that issue can be dismissed right away Also it has been shown that even phalanx can raid, now since praets have better attack than phalanx, of course that praets can raid too. How well they do, it is an entirely different matter. To end that subject right now, any unit that can carry bounty can, of course, raid.

Again, back to original question. At the start of the game, there is no way for romans to compete with fellow teutons. After they tech to EI, they will start to catch up a little bit, but by that time teutons will already have considerable lead. Also EIs are expensive. If they keep their cool and don't mess their troops in reckless battles, starting with midgame they can make it to top raiders. This my own opinion, with the assumption that those 10 top raiders have similar skills, in other words when raiding efficiency doesn't come mostly from the player's skill, but from the units stats themselves( I mean when the units stats is the limiting factor - this includes cost, training time, crop consumption, attack, defense etc.). Hope this is more clear now.

Cheers
    A very good point. The success of a roman at raiding(getting into top 10), depends very much on 2 things: 1) shifting from legos to EI's 2)exact time to use resources for 2nd village instead of/alongwith training troops.both these above factors,in turn depend on a prime factor: quality & quantity of surrounding players(classified in 2: raiders & farms).

Quote Originally Posted by Pallosalama View Post
    Looks like subject of thread has forgotten. I'd say, no, don't go for your first go with Romans in challenging server. Play 1-3 rounds with them and then consider using them in Tournament again.
    Thank u for ur advice Pallosalama but i am not a noob and if i chose them for 3 or 4 rounds that would be a waste of time ; as u know travain isn't a one-hour game...i will try them and if i fail then i will stick with my favorite furious teutons..

And what zoltar says is correct,,,we haven't forgotten the subject of the thread ,,i don't want to add anything because zoltar said more than enough about this issue...

Seriously, unless you want to use them for defense, legos don't even come close to imperians... no one stops you from building imperians in more villages. You want more hammers, fine, it is quite encouraged to have at least 2, but NOT with legos... you can have any combination of imp+EI or imp+EQ, but not legos... also when a unit have more defense than attack, well it should be obvious what to use it for.
    i am sorry zoltar but i don't know what you r trying to prove here,,,i have already proven in a previous post that imps are a lot better than legos but i also said that i want to use those legos MAINLY for defense against cavs,,,raiding and as a secondary hammer...not to mention that they r cheaper
    IMO,,,training 2 hammers with each one of them concluding imps isn't good.. If that was so,,I would only train imps in the main hammer which is better because 20 000 imps are better than 10 000 x 2 and then i would only build EIs for raiding in a specific village...

My main point was to build a secondary hammer of legos which is an all-purpose hammer...

And I agree with what kovpeti says below, in fact, I couldn't have said it better myself
    what kovpeti says doesn't prove that he is correct...

And about clearing oases
    http://answers.travian.com/index.php?aid=111

Guardsman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_M View Post
    i am sorry zoltar but i don't know what you r trying to prove here,,,i have already proven in a previous post that imps are a lot better than legos but i also said that i want to use those legos MAINLY for defense against cavs,,,raiding and as a secondary hammer...not to mention that they r cheaper
    IMO,,,training 2 hammers with each one of them concluding imps isn't good.. If that was so,,I would only train imps in the main hammer which is better because 20 000 imps are better than 10 000 x 2 and then i would only build EIs for raiding in a specific village...

My main point was to build a secondary hammer of legos which is an all-purpose hammer...
    Will somebody please explain it to this guy because I already said it a few times already... legos are not for hammer or for raiding. There is no reason to train anything else except imps when it comes to offense. Even if legos are a bit cheaper, why would you want to have a higher number of legos that eat more and are slower, than a lower number of imps ?!? Again, legos are for defense, unless you want to get some spearmen, in which case you can forget about them completely. Now, if you really insist on defending with legos, in the spare time when there are no incomings, you can also raid with them, no problem, and also at the end of the game you can choose to sacrifice them, but they are not for attacking. A large group of legos is called an avil...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_M View Post
    what kovpeti says doesn't prove that he is correct...

And about clearing oases
    http://answers.travian.com/index.php?aid=111
    Me and many other players do this on a current basis and can confirm that he is in fact correct. I wouldn't have brought it up otherwise.

Natarian Knight

Legos are not for raiding or for hammer but it "can" be used under certain circumstances.

Let's say it's endgame, you have a 200k hammer (imp and EI) sitting there. And you have 100k legos sitting there also which you aren't planning to send to WW. You want to do maximum damage to a player you hate. So you send those 100k lego army to weaken that player, followed by your actual imp and EI hammer. You'll end up doing more damage then just sending the real hammer and having your legos sit there.

Yes, legos are not good for raiding or to mass produce for hammer. But IF you're at the stage where you don't care anymore, use those legos for whatever purpose you like. There is nothing worse than having unused troops when server ends. Not everyone cares about efficiency. If you have high demand (maximum damage in our case and trying to make the defender suffer as much as possible), then you pay whatever price you want. All it matters in this game is to have fun, if you have fun at what you're doing, you win.

Thorned Warrior

Default Romans

Mr M. I like Romans, now they take a long time in the beginning and very difficult in the early game. Now Teutons are very cheap troops, trained to basically die. Gauls are the middle and very good raiders. Here lets get some Galls, Romans, and Teutons pros and cons.

Romans:

The Roman tribe is based on the Roman Empire which fell due to class inequality and the abuse of power. They are powerful and the bang for your buck in Travian. Now they have the cheapest troops of all. In theory the Teutons have the cheapest troops. But after about 40-50 days the troops would have payed back in wheat compared to the Teutons. The problem is they have no early game defenses.

Pros:
    Very powerful and great for hammers and anvils.
    Best cavalry in the game, by far, with the HDT.

Cons:
    Early-game raiding is a mess, unless you can scramble to EI quickly and kill off as many Teuts as possible.
    Very expensive upfront, after though they pay back.
    Farmed heavily.

Galls:

The Galls are my favorite, though they are not fit for all, if you would like to play efficiently. They are new player friendly, and probably have the most sleep in the first 2 weeks. They have the cheapest anvils, and a pretty good hammer. They can raid, but they outshine Teuts then get out-shined by the Romans rather quickly in terms of raiding.

Pros:
    The best early-game, I don't even build traps, just use the Phalanx once Teuts get the juevos to raid me.
    The best raiding unit at 3 times the speed of a Macemen the Theutates is the best raiding unit in the game.
    The hammers are fairly good, and their anvils are cheap.

Cons:
    Theutates are very fragile.
    No good buildings like the HDT and Brewery.

Teutons:

IMO the least efficient tribe in the game. They get a quick start in the game, but their troops move very slow and it just becomes they win in numbers. They are usually superseded by the Romans and Galls later. They take many hours of sleep out of me, and I never get up early enough to kick troops out and do everything. I once had a successful top 10 raiding account, but we eventually couldn't keep the gold pumping. We got into the top 75 on some uk server.

Pros:
    Very cheap troops.
    Great early game raiders, then they are out-shown by Romans and Gauls in raids.
    Quickest hammer to build, in time/ap

Cons:
    Slow troops, very slow
    They are based on numbers, so crop is going to be needed.
    Cavalry is upon the worst in the game.

So all in all it's what you want. Do you want straight-out of the box or do you want a safe but slower journey that picks up or a risky and very slow but very rewarding one.

Whatever you choose, let the decision be on your style and time.

~Justin
    Quote Originally Posted by Coonicon View Post
    I used to think that it can't get any worst than "alien killer" type of posters now we got this JustinBa1010 on our hands
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Prasad~ View Post
    If you want to excel in travian, you need to forget your real life.

Will somebody please explain it to this guy because I already said it a few times already... legos are not for hammer or for raiding. There is no reason to train anything else except imps when it comes to offense. Even if legos are a bit cheaper, why would you want to have a higher number of legos that eat more and are slower, than a lower number of imps ?!? Again, legos are for defense, unless you want to get some spearmen, in which case you can forget about them completely. Now, if you really insist on defending with legos, in the spare time when there are no incomings, you can also raid with them, no problem, and also at the end of the game you can choose to sacrifice them, but they are not for attacking. A large group of legos is called an avil...
    First of all,,there is no need to get pissed off zoltar,,,i appreciate what u r trying to tell me and i appreciate ur ideas,,we r here to express our opinions ,ideas and for benefit.
    I am not forcing u to participate in this thread,,so if u think that i am stupid and i have a low IQ lvl then don't post here because i won't understand what u r trying to say ...

Secondly,,,i am the one who said it thousands of times,,,,legos + EIs will be as a SECONDARY SECONDARY SECONDARY hammer and they will be used MAINLY MAINLY MAINLY for defence against cavs . But i have no idea whether u know what the secondary hammer is used for or not. I will use it for WEAKENING WEAKENING WEAKENING enemy defenses so my MAIN MAIN MAIN hammer can mop up the rest without severe damages.

This is just an idea,,,of course u can build imps in ur secondary hammer but i thought that we can make an ANVIL & A HAMMER in one village(as i said before,,legos are a very balanced unit)..so basically ,,i don't need to make multiple villages for cav defense and upgrade the legos to lvl 20 in the smithy in more than one village...i will upgrade them in only one village which will be a SECONDARY hammer & AN ANVIL....

And that doesn't mean that i can't have a THIRD hammer composed of imps & EIs

This is a war game,,so we don't play the same way..everyone might use the way he thinks it is good but discussing those ideas here is very good....we might learn from eachother & share our experiences...

U might tell me ask for SPEARMEN but i am supposing that i am building my own defenses...in addition,,if someone sent me spearmen,,i wouldn't be able to move them between my villages(in case i have a lot of villages)unless i send them back and my defender send them back in return to the village i request so i need to depend on my defenses but in serious situations i will ask for spearmen for sure..

And finally,,i know what an ANVIL is....maybe i am stupid but not that much...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinBa1010 View Post
    Teutons:

IMO the least efficient tribe in the game.

~Justin
    First,,thank u...

IMHO ((just my opinion)) teutons are not the least efficient tribe but they require a lot of time and they need a very very active account in order to see their real efficiency while gauls don't..
    Of course if u want to be among the top,,ACTIVITY is required whether u are teutons ,,gauls or romans but teutons are just a special tribe..

Gauls & Teutons are opposite faces of one coin....
    Gauls represent the SHIELD
    Teutons represent the SWORD

But, of course Teutons also have Spears for defending and Gauls can be used super-offensive, we had Gaul in last Finland Tc6 server, he started 2 months later, grow to one of top-sims accounts and had 2nd best Attack point rank

Natarian Knight

Back to my point. Any tribe can attack, defend, and raid. It takes a good player to make the best out of any tribe.